Shadowlands Pre-Expansion Patch 9.0.1 Live This Week
The pre-expansion patch is going live this week!
What is Releasing This Week?
Lots of changes are coming in the Shadowlands Pre-Expansion Patch.
- Allied Races no longer require Exalted to unlock.
- Flying in Warlords of Draenor and Legion no longer requires earning their respective achievements.
- Official Patch Notes
- Undocumented Changes
- New Shadowlands Login Screen
- New Character Creation Screen
- New Customization – Characters, Druid Forms, and Transmog
- Shadowlands Level Squish – Level 120 Squished to 50
- Leveling Changes – Timewalking Campaigns
- New Player Starting Experience – Exile’s Reach
- Mythic Keystone Dungeon Affix Changes – Several Changes and Reworks to Existing Affixes
- Class Changes – New and Returning Spells and Abilities
- Item Changes – Heirloom and Item Changes
- UI Changes – New Quest Markers, Map Pinning, Waypoints, and More
What is Not Releasing This Week?
Outside of all of the Shadowlands content that won’t release this week:
What is Being Removed This Week?
Some things are being removed this week and more will be removed with the Shadowlands launch.
- Battle for Azeroth Season 4 PvP Season – The season is over, so you won’t be able to earn the Season 4 elite rewards sets or achievements anymore.
- Ahead of the Curve: N’Zoth the Corruptor and Cutting Edge: N’Zoth the Corruptor will no longer be obtainable.
- Mad World will no longer be obtainable.
- Hertz Locker will no longer be obtainable.
- Phenomenal Cosmic Power and Azeroth’s Champion title will no longer be obtainable.
- Awakened Mindborer and The Awakened title will no longer be obtainable.
- Brawler’s Guild – The Brawler’s Guild will be going away until Shadowlands and Bruce might become unobtainable.
- Reins of the Mighty Caravan Brutosaur will be removed from vendors and will become purchasable only on the BMAH.
- Death Knights and Demon Hunters will start at a lower level in Shadowlands, so you should create one now.
You can read the official Shadowlands Patch 9.0.1 notes here.
- A weekly world quest will direct you to a new world boss in Eastern Plaguelands, Nathanos Blightcaller!
- A new quest chain will lead you to Icecrown in Northrend, where you will discover the events leading into Shadowlands.
- Completing this chain will unlock dailies in the area.
- Icecrown will also feature rare spawns of WotLK bosses who drop Item level 100 catch-up gear.
- In the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor, the Scourge will once again wreak havoc on capital cities for a short period as well!
- For more information, check out the banners below.
New Character Customization
One of the most anticipated things coming with the pre-patch is a host of new customization options for our characters. Click the banner below to see just what is coming for your characters in pre-patch.
Druid Form Barber Shop Customization
Druid are now able to customize all of their forms in the barber shop! Here is a rundown of the new feature.
- Your druid will have its default racial forms and will not have access to other race’s unique forms.
- Any Legion bear, cat, and Lunarwing form that you have unlocked on a character on your account will be able to be selected in the Barber Shop and is no longer tied to a specialization. This means that even a restoration druid can use the guardian druid mage tower form.
- Glyphs that change your aquatic and travel forms are now one time use and unlock the ability to chose the form in the Barber Shop.
- You may even select the fire cat form from the rare toy drop in Firelands as a cat form option provided you have looted and learned the toy.
Legion Artifacts Transmog Flexibility
Shadowlands Level Squish
A level squish will be applied with the pre-expansion patch. Your level will be reduced, with a Battle for Azeroth cap of Level 50 and an eventual Shadowlands cap of Level 60. Click here to find out how the squish will affect your characters.
|Expansion||Level in BFA||Level in Shadowlands|
|The Burning Crusade||70||27|
|Wrath of the Lich King||80||30|
|Mists of Pandaria||90||35|
|Warlords of Draenor||100||40|
|Battle for Azeroth||120||50|
- A level squish will be applied with a Battle for Azeroth cap of Level 50 and an eventual Shadowlands cap of Level 60.
- New starting experience – Exile’s Reach. You’ll be able to skip this zone on alts.
- The introduction of Timewalking Campaigns which allow Veteran Players to talk to Chromie and pick a previous expansion to level entirely from 10 to 50.
New Player Starting Experience
New players to World of Warcraft will start their adventure in Exile’s Reach. Veteran players can choose to opt out of this zone and complete the starting experience for their race.
Upon reaching Level 10, players receive the quest Tides of War (Alliance) or Mission Statement (Horde) to start leveling in Battle for Azeroth. Veteran players have an additional option to level through Timewalking Campaigns by talking with Chromie in capital cities.
- Blood Death Knight Shadowlands Guide
- Frost Death Knight Shadowlands Guide
- Unholy Death Knight Shadowlands Guide
- Balance Druid Shadowlands Guide
- Feral Druid Shadowlands Guide
- Guardian Druid Shadowlands Guide
- Restoration Druid Shadowlands Guide
- Brewmaster Monk Shadowlands Guide
- Mistweaver Monk Shadowlands Guide
- Windwalker Monk Shadowlands Guide
- Holy Paladin Shadowlands Guide
- Protection Paladin Shadowlands Guide
- Retribution Paladin Shadowlands Guide
- Assassination Rogue Shadowlands Guide
- Outlaw Rogue Shadowlands Guide
- Subtlety Rogue Shadowlands Guide
- Elemental Shaman Shadowlands Guide
- Enhancement Shaman Shadowlands Guide
- Restoration Shaman Shadowlands Guide
- Affliction Warlock Shadowlands Guide
- Demonology Warlock Shadowlands Guide
- Destruction Warlock Shadowlands Guide
Heirloom armor, necklaces and rings will now form the Regalia of Fabled Adventurers, a heirloom set with unique bonuses.
Regalia of Fabled Adventurers Armor Pieces
- Heirloom Helm
- Heirloom Necklace
- Heirloom Shoulders
- Heirloom Cloak
- Heirloom Chestpiece
- Heirloom Legs
- Heirloom Ring
Regalia of Fabled Adventurers Set Bonuses
- Maximizing Rests (2 Set) – Rested experience consumed is reduced by 30%.
- Battlefield Resourcefulness (3 Set) – Increases your out-of-combat regeneration in the outdoors, normal dungeons and battlegrounds.
- Flash of Brilliance (5 Set) – Gaining a level triggers Burst of Knowledge, dealing Holy damage to nearby enemies and granting you 40% Primary Stat for 2 min. Defeating enemies extends this effect, up to an additional 2 min.
- Maximizing Rests (6 Set) – Rested experience consumed is reduced by 30%.
Other Notable Item Changes
- All Legion Legendary items’ bonuses no longer activate.
- Leatherworking drums now provide 15% Haste (was 25%).
- War-Scrolls of Battle Shout, Intellect and Fortitude can no longer be used by characters above level 50.
- Many consumables now have a 5 minute cooldown.
- Reduced amount of value provided by Critical Strike, Haste, Mastery, and Versatility secondary stats when reaching high thresholds.
- Elixir of Ancient Knowledge, Elixir of the Rapid Mind, and Excess Potion of Accelerated Learning will become Poor quality and no longer usable.
- PvP Weapon Illusions can be used by all characters across the account.
Lots of UI changes are coming in the patch, including Ray-Traced Shadows and Game Pad support.
Be sure to back up your WTF folder before the patch and updating addons, just in case!
- Framerate you ideally want to play at. If your framerate is below this number, dynamic systems will reduce graphics quality to attempt to hit this framerate.
- Essential: Only show essential spells. Your own spells are always shown.
- Some: Reduce non-essential spells shown by around 75%.
- Half: Reduce non-essential spells shown by around 50%.
- Most: Reduce non-essential spells shown by around 25%.
- Dynamic: Reduce non-essential spells shown based on framerate. If you are above your desired framerate, everything will be shown.
- Everything: Always show all spells.
Quest UI Changes
After 16 years of World of Warcraft, the ! and ? quest symbols are getting a visual update.
Campaign quests are also getting a nice quality of life update as they will be highlighted by a shield in both the Objectives Window and Quest Log. Blizzard shared that this change should help players distinguish major quests that are required to advance the narrative from optional side quests that tell more localized stories.
Map Pins and Quest Waypoints
Blizzard is also adding Map Pins and Quest Waypoints. This feature allows players to share a map location with others via chat.
Unread Mail Indicator
The character login screen now displays an indicator when characters have unread mail. This includes mail from another character, Auction House, unlooted items or lost currency.